I hear you trying to decommission your exchange server nothing seems to be there, when you look at the mail store from ESM, no user mailbox at all, so why exchange is complaining about?
The exchange is integrated with active directory heavily as well as DNS.
When a server needs to be decommissioned and cannot due to user mailboxes still exit on the server
In ESM however there is no user mailbox at all, so why exchange is no uninstalling why Exchange is complaining with similar error below
When remove exchange with exchange wizard error occurred "The component "Microsoft Exchange Messaging and collaboration Services" Cannot be assigned the action "Remove" because:
- one or more users currently use a mailbox store on this server. This user must be moved to mailbox store on a different Server or be mail disabled before uninstalling this server
There is a user somewhere within AD, and your Exchange is reading that information from your Active directory, NTDS.DIT database.
Now we need to find out which object is still has a partial information pointing to this exchange server we wish to remove from out Mail organization
Lets fire up, ADUC
- Start run
- Right-click the domain container, and then click Find ( or click on the find icon on top left)
- Select the Advanced tab
- Select User from the Field button
- From the list of attributes displayed, choose Exchange Home Server
- Set the Condition field to Ends With
- Enter the Exchange server name into the Value field ( server you are trying to get rid of)
- Click Add
- Click the Find
- Make a right Click and Delete all those found in the search
- Go back and kick of uninstall process one more time