Wednesday, October 17, 2007

ESEUTIL Redirecting Temp Databases onto another Drive



Going through ESEUTIL, here are some recommendations.

Make sure you have good backup (Basic rule, always make sure you got a working good backup)

  • Make sure you have good backup ( Basic rule, always make sure you got a working good backup)
  • Make sure you have enough space to perform the ESEUTIL (110%)
  • Be Patient, after running ESEUTIL Defragmenting a database requires free disk space equal to 110 percent of the size of the database that you want to process. To determine the actual space required, follow these steps
  • Make sure that the information store service is not running.
  • At a command prompt, run the following command:
  • ESEUTIL /ms "database.edb"
  • Calculate the free space by multiplying the number of free pages by 4 KB.
  • Subtract the figure that you obtained in step 3 from the physical size of the database.
  • The figure that you obtained in step 4 represents the data in the database. Multiply this figure by 110 %. The resulting figure that you obtain is the space that you need to have available to defragment the database.
  • Divide the figure that you obtained in step 3 by 9 GB per hour. The figure that you obtain is the approximate time that it will take to defragment the database.

After running ESEUTIL and waiting couple hours, the ESEUTIL errors out with following warning, obviously I did not realize the temp files were defaulted to the C drive and C drive ran out space.E drive had over 100 Gig, there I needed to point the Temp database. I used same switch with additional switch as follows /te: \Temp.edb

C:\>"C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\BIN\ESEUTIL.EXE" -d "E:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MD

BData\priv1.edb" /te:\temp.edb


 

  • Defragmentation Status (% complete)


 

0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100

|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|


 

Operation terminated with error -1808 (JET_errDiskFull, No space left on disk) after 10096.297 seconds.


 

C:\>"C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\BIN\ESEUTIL.EXE" -d "E:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MD

BData\priv1.edb" /te:\temp.edb


 

Microsoft(R) Exchange Server(TM) Database Utilities

Version 6.0

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1991-2000. All Rights Reserved.


 

Initiating DEFRAGMENTATION mode...

Database: E:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBData\priv1.edb

Streaming File: E:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBData\priv1.STM

Temp. Database: e:\temp.edb

Temp. Streaming File: e:\temp.STM


 

Defragmentation Status (% complete)


 

0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100

|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|


 

Best,

Oz Ozugurlu

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice post, but you stopped short of helping me with my problem. I did the same thing as you but was unable to find the temp database that was filling my C drive up. I used windirstat to no avail as it showed up as "unknown" space. Eventually I found that the default location was c:\windows\system32\ and the default filename was of the form Tempdfrg*.edb
Hope this helps someone else - very frustrating.