Goal: Install first windows 2008 R2 Domain controller into existing 2008 Forest/Domain.
Problem: Receiving fallowing error, upon running DCpromo “To install a domain controller into this Active directory forest using “adprep /forestprep”.
The Adrep utility is available on the windows 2008 R2 installation media in the \support\adprep folder
You need to log into one of your existing domain controller (Infrastructure Master) and copy the folder mentioned in the above error to let’s say C drive.
To see the FSMO roles, simply go to command line and run
- netdom query FSMO
So you are going to be running below command from your Infrastructure Master, not the new R2 DC you are trying to bring up.
- Log in DC ( Infrastructure Master)
- Copy support\adprep folder into C drive of your existing DC
- Open command line
- Run AdPrep32 /ForestPrep (I ran Adprep32 because my existing DC is 32 Bit)
Wait ForestPrep to finish
- Run AdPrep32 /DomainPrep (I ran Adprep32 because my existing DC is 32 Bit)
- You are done now go back to Windows 2008 R2 you wish to DCpromo
- Run DCpromo and fallow the wizard
Oz Casey Dedeal
MCITP (EMA), MCITP (SA)
MCSE 2003, M+, S+, MCDST
Security+, Project +, Server +