Create SystemStateBackup for Windows 2008 Domain controllers. Create batch file and schedule SystemStateBackup two times in a day and save it on second hard drive on the system. This directory is being backed up with software to tape or offside backup place
Log into DC you wish to backup,
You need to install Windows 2008 backup tools (this is not installed by default)
- Open command line and type as fallows
- servermanagercmd -install Backup-Features
- Note, System State backup can ONLY be run via CLI.
- Verify the at the end of this you get “install completed successfully."
Make sure you have dedicated drive for destination of the backup you are about to perform, you need to dump the SystemStateBackup to Disk and if you wish you can move it from there to DVD or external backup media.
- When you ready type the fallowing on command line
wbadmin start systemstatebackup -backupTarget:<VolumeLetter>: –quiet
- here is mine,
|wbadmin start systemstatebackup -backupTarget:E: –quiet |
- I am going to use E drive since I have dedicated 10Gig backup drive for this purpose
- Wait to verify SystemStateBackup is done successfully.
- Go back to backup drive and verify the backup is there
MCITP (EMA), MCITP (SA)
MCSE 2003, M+, S+, MCDST
Security+, Project +, Server +